Opening of new 10,000 square-foot laundry facility at The Penn Stater

To accommodate tons of dirty linen, while saving on energy, labor and transportation costs, a new 10,000 square-foot, $4 million laundry facility for Penn State Laundry Services has recently opened on the ground floor of The Penn Stater Conference Center.

Hotel.Jim Purdum, general manager for Penn State Hospitality Services, said professional estimates put savings from the facility at about $300,000 a year in energy costs alone. Energy savings stem from a state-of-the-art in-house boiler, natural lighting, calculated water reuse and reduced transportation costs. The centerpiece of energy savings is a massive, new tunnel washer, manufactured by the Louisiana-based Pellerin Milnor Corp.’If you look at how the tunnel washers have changed in terms of energy consumption in the past few decades, automobiles would get 300 miles per gallon if they mirrored the advancements represented in this piece of equipment,’ Purdum said. About 85 percent of the linen Laundry Services handles goes to the University’s two hotels: The Penn Stater and the Nittany Lion Inn. The remaining 15 percent is clean terry cloth and linen for Housing and Food Services and other Penn State customers. Utilizing 3,000 square feet of converted office and storage space and a 7,000 square-foot addition, the new Penn Stater facility will be able to produce the same amount of laundry in a standard 40-hour work week, that she formerly produced in working around the clock. Read more